Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sorry, my sunglasses are too cool for you...


One of the things I have noticed while in Singapore is that almost no one is wearing sunglasses.  The other day I was riding to lunch with several Singaporeans and I realized I was the only person putting on sunglasses so I decided to ask why no one else wears them.  Here is how the conversation went:

Me: "I've noticed that no one here really wears sunglasses.  Why is that?"

Singaporean: *laughing* "Sunglasses?  People only wear sunglasses if they are trying to look cool."

Me: "What?!? What do you mean only if you want to look cool?  Doesn't the sun bother your eyes?  You know if you don't protect your eyes from the sun you are more likely to get glaucoma.  Do people just not care?"

Singaporean: ''I've just never thought to wear them.  Most people don't."

Me: "Well I just want you to know that I'm not trying to be cool by wearing sunglasses.  I've had lasik and my eyes are very sensitive to sunlight.  It physically hurts to not wear them."

Now whenever I am out in my sunglasses I feel like everyone is looking at me thinking that I'm just trying to be cool.  Oh well, it's not going to stop me from wearing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment