Pages

Friday, November 9, 2012

Macaron Mistakes

Macarons 3 Ways
It is no secret that I have been obsessed with macarons since I first had them in San Francisco two years ago.  When made correctly they are chewy, delicious, and gluten free!  I've found many recipes on Pinterest and tested a few but have never had a really successful batch.  Macarons are very temperamental for something that only has four ingredients.

When I found a deal on Groupon for a macaron class at a local cooking school, I bought it immediately. I was hoping they could help me figure out why none of my attempts have produced beautiful macarons.  While the class was entertaining, I learned absolutely nothing about how to make them above what I have already learned from reading a macaron troubleshooting site.

The class lasted only three hours and started with us watching the pastry chef create some.
 After watching the chef mess up those macarons, it was our turn to try.  My group decided that they wanted to try three colors and instead of cleaning the piping bag between colors we would just fed in the next color.  The results are kind of a mess.
I piped the blue ones.  Only one of them looks like a
complete disaster....right now
These are a few of the finished ones by the chef.
What you can't tell is several are hollow and
the filling on the orange ones was disgusting.
 They let our macarons "rest" for about 15 minutes before putting them in the oven.  Fifteen minutes is not enough time, especially in a hot and humid climate like Singapore.  Our cookies had too much air in them without enough folding, banging, and resting so they all cracked.
Sad, busted macarons
If nothing else, this experience taught me exactly what not to do when I make them again.  I will continue to try until I find the perfect recipe and method.  I will master them!

No comments:

Post a Comment