Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Chicken

As our family and friends are gathering back in the US to enjoy a day of food and fun, we are yearning to be with them.  Derek nor I have never missed a Thanksgiving dinner with either of our families so it isn't easy for us to miss this year.  Thanks to modern technology, we have been able to Facetime with them and share a little of the Thanksgiving spirit.

After an uncelebrated Halloween, we decided we would make a point to celebrate all of the US holidays in the future.  We just want to try to feel like we are still part of the celebration.  To do this for Thanksgiving, I baked a couple pumpkin flavored desserts to share at work.  Our coworkers weren't going to turn down cake or cookies and we got to feel like we shared a little holiday cheer.

Our big Thanksgiving dinner is going to be on Saturday with some of the other expats so Derek and I just did a small Thanksgiving of our own.  A whole turkey costs $45SGD and we could never finish one on our own so we ate Thanksgiving chicken instead.  I searched several grocery stores and was finally able to find some French's Fried Onions for our green bean casserole.  When you work that hard to find them and pay that much ($9.10SGD for fried onions!), your casserole tastes twice as good!  Or maybe it is just that taste of home.

Funny story of our Thanksgiving:

Last night I was preparing a whole chicken so it would be ready to go in the crockpot this morning before I left for work.  I was about to wash the chicken when I noticed a little paper tag. I pulled on this tag and suddenly a head popped out.  I let out a horrified scream and Derek came running.  When he asked me what was wrong I pouted "my chicken has a head."  I wasn't about to cook it with the head nor was I about to cut it off so Derek was kind enough to chop it for me.  Of course you can't have a chicken with feet so we had to chop those off too.  Needless to say, that is probably the last whole chicken I buy here.  It was delicious though!

"My chicken has a head..."

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment